Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Dom Kennedy - 'Get Home Safely' (Top songs + Review)


Fresh off my review of Dom Kennedy's new Get Home Safely album, here are the songs that left the greatest impression on me. Check out why and take a listen after the jump.

My review of Get Home Safely can be found here on HipHopHundred.


Recounting past experiences, "17" is driven by layered hi-hats and a hurry-up flow during the second verse that adds my kind of bounce to it.

I call this the most lyrically astute cut in my review for a reason. Dom makes his case with two thorough verses over funky horns, and the second verse is especially rigorous. Maybe I just appreciate the Kurt Rambis reference.

"I'm tryna ball like Jalen Rose" begins another one of Dom's distinct flows over light banjos and toasting glasses. The Krondon feature is worth it word to Frank Drebin.

A plush, ideal example of Dom's lounge sound. Talking that "street knowledge" with a personal, symbolic tone around the theme.


More bounce from Dom, speaking on dreams deferred and stealing polo shirts to wear to school.

An altered, high-pitched vocal sample supports a personal tone from Dom.

No comments:

Post a Comment