Tuesday, September 17, 2013

On notice: Ty Dolla $ign - 'Beach House 2' (Mixtape)


I was exchanging some new R&B music with a friend and he recommended Ty Dolla $ign from Taylor Gang. This was my first time hearing of this guy, and I'm also late, because this 'Beach House 2' project dropped July 1st. What has me on notice is not only the approach, which falls best under the "ratchet" R&B category, but his ability to be a respectively dual threat with his vocals and melodies. The content is sheerly explicit, which can be seen by some song titles. I will say (delicately) there is somewhat of a plain resemblance to the great pied piper, particularly on "Bitches Ain't Shit" and "Float". This project has uptempo with DJ Mustard production, ("Dolla Sign", "Paranoid") trap elements with Juicy J and Wiz Khalifa, ("Ratchet In My Benz", "I Bet", "Irie) and takes progressive turns using the sounds of XXYYYXX, Terrace Martin, and a sensational string segue in the middle of "1st Night 4 A Young (Remix)". About half of 'Beach House 2' was produced by Dolla $ign's own D.R.U.G.S. crew. This wave of R&B grabs my attention when I hear fresh and unique. See how you like Ty Dolla $ign's new tape. See his Fader magazine interview here.

No comments:

Post a Comment